Wednesday, May 16, 2007

THE BIG DAY

The day I've been waiting for for ten years now has finally happened. Last Friday, I got Lasik from the greatness of Dr. Gary Tylock.

This was the culmination of years of being too scared to think about having an eye procedure, to researching different Lasik doctors, talking to people who've had Lasik, going to Dr. Tylock's Free Tuesday Night Informational Seminar and finally, making the big decision.

And after having the procedure I'm left with two thoughts. First, I can't believe how quick and easy the procedure is. And second, I couldn't be happier with the results!

Here's what I had to do. I walked into Dr. Tylock's office at 12:30 pm for my 1 o'clock appointment. I walked out of his office at 2:20 pm. That includes prep time, the procedure itself, talking to Dr. Tylock before and after the Lasik, a relaxation period and a quick briefing on what to do that night and the next day. And that is it.

The Procedure

You prep for the Lasik by receiving a series of eye drops and taking a small valium pill. Then they bring you into the laser room where you receive a few more eye drops and they irrigate the eyes and Dr. Tylock and his assistant go over the entire procedure step-by-step. Dr. Tylock then sits you down for the first part of the procedure where they create a flap. All you do is lie down and look at a small circle of lights. There is absolutely NO PAIN. They create a flap in each eye (which took me about 3 minute’s total). I then moved 5 feet over to another laser that does the actual vision correction. This time all you do is focus on an orange light for a couple of minutes and you're done. Once again, this was 100% Painless. Dr. Tylock then exams each eye, tell you what to expect and answers any questions you might have.

I can't emphasize enough how easy and painless this procedure really is. In comparison, going to the dentist for a routine filling is 100 times more painful and stressful. The dentist uses needles, you get completely numb lips/cheeks and the unnerving sound of the drill. At the dentist, you also have the suction tube and (when it's at its best) you feel the pressure of the drill at work.

But Dr. Tylock's Lasik procedure is NOTHING like that. NO PAIN. ONLY EYE DROPS - NO NEEDLES. It's a completely stress-free procedure.

Afterwards, you're sent home (you will need someone to pick you up) and they want you to go to sleep for several hours. You're only instructions are no reading, no computer work and you can't rub your eyes (they'll actually give you a pair of goggles to wear to help protect your eyes). You'll have a follow-up appointment the day after where you'll be told about the eye drops you'll need to take for approximately the next few days. And I'll have another check-up in two weeks to see how things look after the eye has completely healed and my vision has stabilized.

The Results

Now for the first time in 10 years, I'm reading and working without glasses and when I look in the mirror I see myself again. I went running two days after the procedure and I was lifting weights only three days after the procedure. I still have the phantom sensations of wearing glasses from time to time but soon that too will be a thing of the past.

I couldn't be happier with the procedure and the results. This was without a doubt the best medical decision I've ever made! The process was fantastic and Dr. Tylock and his staff were absolutely terrific. Everyone was friendly, knowledgeable and made it a great experience.

So if you're considering Lasik and want to know more, go to http://www.tylock.com/ or call them to get your seat at their next Free Tuesday Night Informational Seminar at
1-800-NEW-EYES. And if you're worried about the cost of Lasik, remember that Dr. Tylock already keeps his prices affordable and super professional, so he doesn't have to offer "half-off" deals.

So be sure to tell them that Tom from The Ticket sent ya and check back here for more blog entries!

No comments: